CAN YOU PICK A GREAT HEIFER?
Why not enter her into the Ayrshire Young Breeders Heifer Competition!
• The competition is open to all youth aged between 8-35 years of age
• There are two categories, Junior (8-17), and Senior (18-35)
• Entrants must be a member of Ayrshire New Zealand
• Entrants can nominate 1 animal only
• Competition is open to any in-milk 2 year old (A14 and above) born between 1st January & 31 December 2020 due to calve in Spring 2022
HOW THE COMPETITION WORKS
Points will be awarded for production, T.O.P scores and fertility. Scoring is as follows:
• Points are based on the difference between the animals LW and average LW of the herd’s two year old group.
• 0.2 points will be awarded per LW point difference up to a maximum of 50 points. e.g. if the herd average LW is 153 and the animal LW is 264 there is a difference of 111, which equals 22.2 points.
• Points are awarded for the animal’s expected calving date for 2023 relative to the herd’s planned start of calving.
• If an animal is due to calve on the PSC then the animal gets the maximum 50 points.
• 0.55 points are deducted for each day after the PSC that the animal is due to calve.
Traits other than production (TOP):
• Points are based on TOP scores
• Single direction Traits (RW, US, C, FU, RU) actual points 1-9
• Two way traits (RA, L, FT, RT) 5 = 10 points, 4 & 6 = 9 points, 3 & 7 = 7 points, 2 & 8 = 4 points, 1 & 9 = 0
In May we will contact you for the LW data to complete the competition.
Nominations Close 19 August 2022
Entry Form PDF can be found at https://ayrshire.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Young-Breeders-Heifer-Comp-Entry-Form-2022.pdf or check out the online form below!